1. Please fill your prescriptions for your surgery promptly. BRING ALL MEDICATIONS PRESCRIBED BY OUR OFFICE WITH YOU THE DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT. We will give you what you need at that time unless otherwise instructed. Take all medications prescribed by your physician as usual unless otherwise directed.
2. 5-7 DAYS PRIOR TO SURGERY:
DISCONTINUE: any aspirin or medications that contain aspirin.
DISCONTINUE: any anti-inflammatory drugs (such as Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Nuprin).
3. If a sedative is going to be given, you will need someone to drive you to and from your appointment as the medications we will be giving you will not allow you to drive. Your driver should be aware that you may need assistance in walking and should remain under the direct supervision of a responsible adult for the first 12 hours post-operatively.
4. If you are not having IV sedation administered, you may eat a light meal one to two hours before your scheduled appointment. Please refrain from caffeine the day of your appointment.
5. NO alcoholic beverages are to be consumed for 24 hours prior to your appointment.
6. Wear loose clothing with short sleeves, so that vital signs can be taken and monitors placed.
7. Prior to arriving at the office, please scrub your face and neck well. The purpose of this is to avoid transferring germs normally living outside of the mouth to the surgical area. Prior to your surgery, we will disinfect the areas around the mouth and have you rinse with a special mouthwash. Your upper face and hair will be covered. Ladies, please wear little or no makeup and don’t get your hair “done” just before surgery.
8. If you wear a removable partial denture, retainer, night guard or a full denture, please bring it with you the day of your appointment. Be prepared to possibly be without your dentures, partials, etc., for one to two weeks.
9. Since you will need to be on a very soft diet after your appointment, we recommend that you purchase liquid foods such as milkshakes and liquid nutrient such as Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ensure or Sustacal. The day after surgery you may have soft foods such as soup, pudding, pasta, broiled or baked fish, and baked or crockpot chicken. A blender may be used to chop up foods. Further dietary suggestions are available upon request.
10. A large segment of time has been set aside for your appointment. NOTICE OF CANCELLATION MUST BE GIVEN NO LESS THAN THREE (3) BUSINESS DAYS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME.
11. In order for you to leave when finished without having to stop at the front desk, payment should be made in advance unless previous financial arrangements have been made.
12. SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________